Saturday, June 2, 2007

Who is living my dreams?

I have always dreamt of having a rock band where I would play the drums. But with my “exceptional” sense of music, I’d pity the auditorium. Another dream that I had was to go and live in Labrador, the native land of one of my imaginary childhood friends: Apolodor, the penguin from Labrador. When I was a little girl, my parents bought me a book about this penguin, who was employed by a European circus where he was missing his family back home. Extremely moved by his homesick, I said to myself that when I grow up I will go to Labrador to bring him news about his family.
Recently, someone mentioned to me that he got a job proposal in a little town in my beloved Labrador. Although I generally have positive feelings toward my friend, this time I felt only envy. He was about to live my own dream! Beyond any reasoning, I only managed to envy him.
Today I saw on the bus a young man playing with a pair of drumsticks. As if he was rehearsing with imaginary drums. So focused on the rhythm, he was waving the sticks as if they were two magic wands. Watching his mute movements, my head got the beat and I found myself footing it. Is it possible to hear a song that someone is miming? Yeap, and this man was enjoying another dream of mine.
But maybe I am like them, too. Maybe I am living someone else’s dream without even knowing it…

No comments: